How do you reinstate your suspended license in South Carolina?

On Behalf of | Jan 6, 2022 | Traffic Violations

Whether you had too many points on your license or lost your license because of a DUI, it’s important that you don’t drive when you have a suspension. Suspensions are frustrating and inconvenient, but driving on one has the potential to lead to a longer suspension, harsh penalties and fines.

If you have a suspended license, you’re better off asking to reinstate it before you try to get back out on the road. The way to get your license back will depend on your specific circumstances, but you will likely need to meet a set of standard requirements. For example, if you have a DUI offense, you may need to go through an Alcohol and Drug Safety Action Program, or ADSAP, before you can get your license back.

What do you need to get your license back in South Carolina?

While the specifics vary by case, one of the things you will need to do is to pay a $100 license reinstatement fee. You may have to pay more than this in some cases. For times when you owe $300 or more, you may be able to use the state’s repayment plan to cover the debt before your license is returned to you.

Another thing you will need to show is that you have completed any schooling or education required of you. For example, if you needed to go through an ADSAP or traffic school course, you should have proof that you completed it for the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles.

Finally, you will absolutely need proof of insurance before your license will be returned to you. At a minimum, you will need to have minimum liability auto insurance coverage. You may need to submit proof of financial responsibility in the future, which is completed with form SR22.

On top of all of this, you will need to pay any tickets or fines that you owe.

Keep in mind that you may be able to get a hardship license in some cases, even if your normal license is suspended. This kind of license may allow you to drive a specific route, like from home to work and back, so that you can continue taking care of important responsibilities.

If you need help with a traffic offense or suspended license, call an experienced traffic offense defense attorney for more information on how to get your license back.